If you or a loved one was recently involved in an accident involving an 18-wheeler, semi truck or tractor trailer, call New York Car Crashes right away. It’s always best to start the process sooner than later, as these cases can be complex and evidence fades over time. Give yourself the best chance at collecting a settlement by working with the right team of trucking lawyers in NY.
What Makes Trucking Accidents So Dangerous
It’s understandable why trucks are such a powerful force on the road. Trucks weigh roughly 20 to 30 times more than the standard car. Getting hit by something this large is bound to cause significant damage.
Other factors that make truck collisions particularly devastating are:
- Large blind spots. Big rigs have larger blind spots than regular cars. These “no zones” are positioned on the sides and rear of the truck. They make parts of the road practically invisible. If a car is driving in one of these “no zones”, the truck may not know they’re there and change lanes.
- Longer stop times. Trucks cannot stop as quickly as cars can. If a vehicle is driving in front of a semi truck and slams on their breaks, it’s easy for the truck to rear-end them. Trucks should not be following too closely, but other factors (weather, faulty brakes, driver fatigue) can also play a role.
- Longer start times. Longer acceleration times aren’t as big of a threat as slow stop times, but they pose a danger when merging onto an expressway.
- Hazardous materials. We cannot overlook the fact that many big rigs are carrying hazardous materials such as explosives, corrosive agents and gasoline. These materials can complicate the accident and cause damage to the environment.
- Overworked drivers. Truck drivers tend to be overworked and overtired. They are on the road for long periods of time without much sleep. Drivers in this position are a liability.
Trucking Accidents by the Numbers
Obviously, trucks have an important job to do. But, no one benefits when there are accidents on the road. Sadly, trucking accidents are extremely common. According to the most recent data available, there are over 4,000 fatal accidents each year involving large trucks. The number of trucks involved in injury crashes is roughly 87,000, and the number of trucks involved in property damage crashes is around 342,000. If you were involved in a semi truck accident, you are certainly not alone.
Get the Settlement You Deserve
Our truck accident attorneys in NY have extensive experience working on these types of cases. We understand that this is an emotional time, as your life has probably changed in several ways. You may not be able to work a full-time job. You may have trouble getting around on two feet. You may have suffered a traumatic brain injury.
You deserve to be rewarded with a settlement that covers your medical costs, time missed from work and pain and suffering. By working with New York Car Crashes, you can get most, if not all, of the money that is owed to you. It takes quality legal representation and a firm understanding of the trucking laws in your state to get this done. To learn more about your options following a semi truck accident, schedule a free consultation with our NY truck collision lawyers.
Contact us today to learn how we can help.